We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tuesdays With Dorie: Baking With Julia- Blueberry Crostata

Although this was to be a raspberry and fig crostata, I decided to create a blueberry filling instead for this months TWDBWJ. The crust was cookie like and needed to be rolled out on parchment paper and peeled from the paper. A tad of a fussy crust. For all the fuss, I did not think the crust was that great. Way to overpowering. Would I make this again? Most likely not. I prefer a very good pie crust

instead.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry you did not like this. I myself liked the earthiness of the almonds and sesame seeds, and the cookie like texture it had. And of course the crunch of the coarse sugar on top. At first I was not impressed - having a slice warm, but changed my mind after having a piece the next day, straight from the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blueberry filling sounds magic - sorry you didn't like the tart. I wasn't sure I would like this pastry either so I left out the sesame seeds and used almond meal which cut out some of the steps and it was quicker and easier to make. The pastry ended up being smooth not crumbly as well which I preferred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This rocks! I would eat this until it was gone. Love it.


    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry you did not like the tart. I had some issues with the crust as well though it did get good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad on the fussiness factor (I kind of agree with you re: cookie crust vs. pie crust), but your lattice crust looks fabulous :-). I made the cobbler - not sure if I will try the crostada. I also enjoyed your link to Margaret Roach in your earlier blog entry - we belong to a CSA and are always looking for ways to freeze the overstock for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad you did not like it. I made the cobbler but after reading the ingredients of the crostata I'd really like to give it a try.
    Hopefully the recipes in September will bring you more joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the cobbler, but love the look of the crostata. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, as it looks lovely. And I love blueberries!

    ReplyDelete