We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Saturday, August 4, 2012

Charentais Melon

Charentais Melon is a French Melon that you will not find in the grocery store. It does not travel well and you may find it in the farmer's market. Otherwise  you will have to grow your own. Growing cucumbers and melons in my garden is a challenge because of beetles and they carry wilt diseases that destroy these plants. We love Charentais Melon and so I decided to try to grow this year. Here is an example of what we have so far. The melons are now the size of a baseball.
It was so humid outside when I took this photo that the photo fogged over. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I continue to battle the beetles with neem and insecticidal soap.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely melon! We were hit with beetles badly this year on our gourds, and lost them all in a matter of days. I recognize that humidity, too!

    ReplyDelete