We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Sunday, February 24, 2013

TWD:Baking With Julia-Croissants and More



The recipes for March for the Tuesdays With Dorie: Baking With Julia crowd are Croissants and Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies. I have never made both recipes for the month, either because of time or I just liked only one out of the two recipes for the month: but not this month. 

I started on the croissants yesterday. Trying to find compressed yeast was a challenge. My husband and I clearly remember cubes of compressed yeast that would be in the refrigerator section of the stores. Not any more. After a few calls, Jungle Jims came to the rescue. They have an artisan bakery section and they will sell compressed yeast in one pound blocks. Now that is a lot of yeast, but it was $3.99( not that expensive really) and I can freeze it. I know I certainly will never use all of this yeast. However, everything that I read about these French treats was to not substitute compressed yeast for dry yeast.

Last night I mixed the dough and created the butter disc. That was easy. This morning I started to incorporate the dough and butter. So far it has been a breeze. I have two more turns for  the roll out phase to create the layers of butter within the dough. I will then freeze the dough and make the croissants next weekend. There will be more turns and roll outs next weekend,  before I can bake these delicacies. The one thing I did was cut the recipe in half. I could not imagine having enough dough for 24 croissants. That is way too much for our family. So I have had to really think about how long and wide I should make the dough in the roll out faze. That was a bit tricky. Stay tuned for next week.

If you want to watch a video for this recipe from Baking with Julia just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment