We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hardening Off Seeds-Starts Today

I have started to harden off my seedlings of Lettuce, Rapini AKA Broccoli Raab,  and Onions outside. The easiest way for me to do this is to put them in a big cardboard box which protects them from the wind initially.
This is more than an art than true science, and requires patience. They will be out for about 3 hours today and I will increase the outdoor time and sun exposure each day. Based on the weather and how these seedlings look, it looks like it will take about a week or so before they are ready to be planted. I also decrease watering these plants during this time to toughen them up. I know it sounds heartless, but this is the way that I have found works for me.

If you have helpful tips for this chore, I would love to hear from you. Happy St. Patrick's Day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment