We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fall Planting Decisions

Our first frost date is 10/23/12 and with the help of Parsnip Love I found a great site for planning your fall garden at Simple Bites. I have never panted a fall garden before and so I have been doing my research.

Here is what Simple Bites has suggested.

12 to 14 weeks before your first frost
  • Direct-sow beans, parsnips, rutabagas, and begin planting lettuce and radishes.
  • Start brassica seedlings and kale indoors, and set out the seedlings within 3 weeks.
10 to 12 weeks before your first frost
  • Set out brassicas and kale.
  • Direct-sow beets, carrots, collards, leeks and scallions, along with more lettuce and radishes. In some areas, even fast-maturing peas and potatoes will do well in the fall garden.
8 to 10 weeks before your killing frost
  • Direct-sow arugula, Chinese cabbage, lettuce, turnips, spinach, mustard, pac choi and other Asian greens.
  • Sow more lettuce and radishes, including daikons.
6 to 8 weeks before first frost
  • Make a final sowing of spinach.
  • Make a final sowing of lettuce beneath a protective tunnel or frame. (I have hoops over one of my beds for my Christmas Salads.)
On or around your first killing frost date
  • Every fall garden should include garlic and shallots to be harvested in the Summer of the next year
Current Plans
12 to 14 weeks before your first frost
Plant various lettuce and endive and Bright Lights Swiss Chard.
Considering peas.

10 to 12 weeks before your first frost

Plant Bettollo Beets, Yaya Carrots and kale.

8 to 10 weeks before your killing frost
Plant spinach

6 to 8 weeks before first frost
More lettuce and Bright Lights Swiss Chard.

Plus in October I will be planting "Music" garlic.



1 comment:

  1. I planted more potatoes and started seedlings for broccoli and cauliflower and salads this weekend so i guess I'm on schedule. ;)

    ReplyDelete