We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie: Baking With Julia- Blueberry Nectarine Pie


This Blueberry Nectarine Pie was a piece of cake to make ( pardon the pun).


Close up of baked pie

The pie crust was easy easy to make and so was the filling. I did cut back on the sugar for the filling. I used a scant  3/4 cup. What I mean by that is that I used less than 3/4 of a cup of sugar, but more than 1/2 cup. I made this the day before the 4th of July and that is why I decided to not use a complete top crust.  Instead  I took what would have been the top crust and used my star cutter to cut stars out of the tope layer. I then placed those stars all over the top. It was a great 4th of July treat.

I would  absolutely  make this pie again.



Before pie was baked





Just out of the oven

I forgot to add this info when I first posted, so I revised the post by adding the following.
Thanks to our hosts  – Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake and Hilary of Manchego’s Kitchen.  Check out their blogs to read about their baking experiences as well as for the recipe itself. 

14 comments:

  1. Love the idea of cutting out stars for the crust! I loved the crust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, your 4th of July Blueberry-Nectarine Pie looks wonderful! I love the way the cut-out stars look! I am sure that ist was quite a treat!

    Looking forward to next Tuesday!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea--I am also looking forward to next Tuesday. BTW--I love your photos on your blog. Your pie looks great!
      Lisa

      Delete
  3. Perfect pie for the 4th! Love the stars and it baked beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to everyone. I wish I had a piece of this pie right now. I loved it.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks pretty with the stars instead of a top crust!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh the stars are really cute.. i had seen this idea too.. maybe next time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a really pretty crust with all the stars. really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the stars on your pie.

    ReplyDelete