We live in zone 6a and I have been gardening and cooking for years. This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my success and those failures that come about on occasion. Plus, I want to hear from all the gardeners and bakers and cooks out there and learn from you. Feel free to share your ideas.







Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Farmer Fred and Tomatoes

I am listening to the last podcast of Farmer Fred. Part of the podcast is on favorite tomatoes. You know I love that subject.

They are discussing heirlooms, hybrid and grafted tomatoes. I have never tried a grafted tomato.
Have you?

They are discussing the following favorites:

Early Girl ( I have not had good luck with it)
Sun Gold
Mortgage Lifter ( I love)

They do not like Brandy wine because of low production.

The biggest advantage of grafted tomatoes is that they resist soil born diseases. That is interesting for those who have that issue. Of course Farmer Fred is always downloaded on my i-pod. Love my gardening podcasts.



1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that they don't like Brandywine - I actually like it's taste and even if I don't have too many tomatoes from it I think it's worth it. I did plant couple of Mortgage Lifter for first time this year so will be intersting to see what it's like. I'm not a fan of hybrids and find them without much of a flavor so I'll stick to heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete